Friday 25 October 2013

Meet the printmaker: Jill Spence


We re-visit Jill Spence, who's back to join The Print Shop's Volume 3 team!

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?  What sort of prints do you make?

Hello, my name is Jill and I’m a silk screen printer.  I hand print in small quantities large and small scale prints, greetings cards and gift items such as cotton bags.  My prints have a graphic, stylised feel.


Are you solely a printmaker, or do you work in any other creative fields?

I’m a Graphic Designer by trade, and having recently been made redundant, I thought it would be an exciting opportunity to develop and follow my passion for screen printing.




What is your earliest recollection of making a print and what made you to want to do more?

At primary school where we had to cut out a paper stencil and put it on a screen to print with. I thought it was like magic when the picture emerged!

What inspires you?  Are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work?

I’m inspired by the Moorish art found in Andalucia, Spain, from a visit there a couple of years ago., I love shapes and patterns which are stylised, symmetrical as well as repeat patterns.

Moorish art and patterns inspire Jill's graphic designs

Could you give us an insight into where you work; your studio/workspace and where you print?

I have a fantastic studio space in Hamilton House in Stokes Croft. There is an eclectic mix of artists, from painters, illustrators, and milliners to puppeteers, so it’s a very creatively indulgent place to work.

Jill's workspace in the eclectic Hamilton House in Stokes Croft

Which other printmakers' work do you admire?

I really like the work of Sanna Annuka, a screenprinter and designer from Finland. I like her stylised animal forms and colours.

By Jill Spence

Printmaking is made up of lots of different processes. Which aspect of printmaking do you enjoy the most?

I enjoy the first pass of my design, as you never quite know how the print is going to look. It always looks a little different hand printed than it does on a computer screen.


Do you have a favourite tool or something you find invaluable when printing?

An old rag! I'm a messy printer, and a dot of paint on my hand can mean a write-off, so I always have a cloth rag to hand to wipe off any paint..

Can you share a little printing trick or secret with us?

Make sure the consistancy of your ink is 50% acrylic and 50% mixing medium. If it's too thick, the paint will dry quickly. Also, if you have to leave your printing, wet a tea towel, wring it out and gently lay it over your screen to prevent the ink from drying out.



How would you like to develop your printmaking skills in the future?

I’m relatively new to screen printing, and see my style evolving at the same time as developing my printmaking skills. I’d like to use different textures and colour overlays to achieve a variety of effects. I want to experiment and see what I can achieve and how far I can push my printmaking skills.

Monochrome or multi-coloured?

Multi-coloured at the moment, although I plan to develop a range on monochrome Christmas cards.

Thank you, Jill!  We can't wait to see your monochrome Christmas cards in the shop, and look forward to seeing how your print work evolves!

Jill will be at The Print Shop for the rest of Volume 3, with all of the above work for sale (while stocks last!). 



The Print Shop
Unit 6
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
BS1 3BU

Open Daily
Mon - Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun 11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment